What is Migraine?
Migraine is more than just a headache. It is a bio-electrical disease resulting from the autonomic nervous system. During attacks the primary functions of this system; vascular, digestive and circulatory systems fail temporarily.
- The most observed one is common migraine while the most different is the one with aura.
- The most distinctive symptoms are headache, nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity for light, noise and smell.
- There may be neurological symptoms like visual disturbances, numbness and temporary paralysis in migraine with aura.
- In children, it might show itself as stomachache, nausea and vomiting mostly.
- It may cause psychological problems. A study shows that 60% of the subjects complained about anxiety and depression.
- Migraine is the most common reason for losing one’s job. During attacks, 90% of the patients are unable to function.
- A migraineur, having 2 attacks in a month on average, loses 1 month each year.
“Migraine is like a regular thief. It steals money, time and joy in each visit."
How Does a Migraine Attack Happen?
“Migraine is a bio-electrical condition occurring in the autonomic nervous system which is the network managing all vital functions of the body."
Interference Fields: They may be caused by infections (throat and tonsils…), surgeries (tonsils, C-section, abortion…), teeth (decays, incomplete root canal treatments, wisdom teeth, improper prosthetics, bruxism), and traumas (psychological or physical).
Triggering Factors: Hunger, sleep deprivation, stress, some foods, southwest wind and hormonal changes make it hard to stimulate interference fields.
Hypersensitive Characteristic: In the case of having a hypersensitive nervous system (revealing itself as a sensitive personality), autonomic nervous system becomes more open to interference fields stimulations.
The autonomic nervous system can get out of control with the help of triggering factors in these patients and an autonomic dysfunction occurs. Then comes the migraine attack.
What Happens When an Autonomic Dysfunction Occur? Basic functions of the autonomic nervous system get disturbed. Blood vessels constrict or widen, bowels slow down or speed up, and also things like blood pressure, pulse and sweating may get affected.
Migraine Attacks: Constriction causes aura, widening causes severe headaches, slowing in bowels causes nausea and vomiting. Thus the whole body gets affected. Senses get more sensitive and patient develops fatigue.